Sunday, December 21, 2014

Sweet Ellu Podi

                            This sweet Ellu Podi seems to be a special variety of our in law's family. When many friends and relatives tasted, they also wondered at it and enjoyed the taste. Only after my marriage, this sweet Podi was known to me.

                              Every one at my mother's house also like this Podi.It is prepared by me and often given to my parents, brothers and friends. Both my son and daughter love this Podi.Not to speak about myself. I feel I can starve if there is only Idli Podi and no Chutney or Sambar to be taken with Idli or Dosai. But with this sweet Podi, Idli and Dosai go inside silently. I am also not a person  like my other family members to enjoy Chutney, Sambar and Podi all together at one time.

                           Children definitely relish this and also Vellam has iron.




Sweet Ellu Podi







Ingredients :

Black or White sesame ( Ellu )   1 cup.
Red Chilly    6 - 8
Powdered Jaggery   3 - 4 tbsp.
Salt, Oi


Method :

1.If the Ellu is bought in reputed Dept. stores, it is believed to be free from
  impurities. Otherwise wash, slowly pour over the sieve that the impurities
  remain at the bottom. Drain the water and dry. 

2. Heat 1 tsp. of oil and roast the Ellu till it starts cracking. Transfer to a plate.

3. Heat 1 tsp. of oil in the same Kadai and roast the red chilly.Cool.

4. First powder the red chilly in the mixer and the add the Ellu and 1/2 tsp. salt.
    Powder and the add the Vellam ( Jaggery ). Powder, not fine, not coarse.
    The special sweet Ellu Podi is ready. Chilly and Vellam can be increased or
    decreased to our taste.

Hing and Curry leaves do not go well with this sweet Podi.

No comments:

Post a Comment