Friday, October 30, 2015

Channa Masala

            Channa Masala, the delay in posting this common gravy for the Chappathis, can't be comprehended by me. During the initial days of my cooking, I prepared this Channa Masala in my own style as a combination to be taken with the roasted Bread slices for my children. Later that was modified during my association with my neighbour, senior to me.

          To some of my recipes other than the ones, inherited from my mom and in law, I owe a lot to that aunt.From her I learned how to make the Vegetable Kuruma, Channa Masala and so many varieties of Karakuzhambu.In our families, only Sambar, Pulikuzhambu, Puli Thanni and Morkuzhambu were common in those days.Rasam used to be prepared as an additional item with the guests and days, we are unwell or we had leftover Sambar or Kuzhambu.

         Now the picture has changed.With so many cookery demos and food blogs with videos, our youngsters and the enthusiastic elders have revolutionised cooking.




Channa Masala

Ingredients :

White Channa   1/2 cup
Onion   1
Coriander Powder  1 tsp.
Chilly Powder   3/4 - 1 tsp.
Garam Masala Powder  1/2 tsp
Salt, Turmeric Powder
Oil   2 tbsp.
Cinnamon, Cloves
Lemon Juice  1 tsp / thin extract of Tamarind


To saute and grind :

Onion  1
Tomatoes  2
Sombu   1/2 tsp

Method :

1. Soak the Channa for 6-7 hours and pressure cooker for 7-8 whistles.

2. Heat 1 tsp. of oil, add Sombu and then the cubed onion and then the tomatoes with 1/4 tsp. of salt.Saute till the tomatoes shrink.Cool and coarsely grind in the mixer.

3.Heat oil, add 1 or 2 pieces of Cinnamon and and 3 -4 cloves. Then add the sliced Onion.When the Onion changes colour, add the Onion, Tomato paste and little salt. Saute for 2-3 mins.

4.Then add the Coriander and Chilly Powder, Turmeric Powder, Garam Masala Powder and stir on medium flame for 5 mins. till the raw smell leaves and the oil comes out.Add 2 cups of water and let it boil.

4. Add the Channa,more salt, mix well and simmer for 7 - 8 mins till the right consistency is reached.Switch off and add the lemon Juice. Instead, a very thin extract of Tamarind can also be added in th end.Some people take 2 tbsp. of cooked Channa,grind in the mixer and mix for the gravy to be thick.I feel in that case, 2 tbsp. of grated coconut be ground in the mixer and mixed by the people who do not mind using coconut.

5. Garnish with finely chopped Coriander leaves and if preferred, finely chopped raw onion for the presentation and taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment