Thursday, October 29, 2015

Sambar Powder

                   Sambar Powder has been prepared at my mom in law's house for the past 40 years.During that period,at my mother's house, we used to grind the red Chilly and the other ingredients for Sambar in the rectangle stone called Ammi using the pestle called Kuzhavi.No Sambar Powder or any other Masala Powders were sold across the counters.

                    The Sambar Powder and our Sambar is relished by many of our friends and relatives.The entire credit goes to my mother in law. Even in my mother's family now, no more grinding either in the stone or mixer. They follow my mom in law's combination and grind in the flour mill.

                   My mom in her late Eighties, living independently does not buy Sambar Powder from the shop.She says that, once if she grinds, she can use it for the whole year.

                    We dry all the ingredients in the hot sun for 2 days and grind in the machine.Those who are living in apartments can dry roast all the ingredients slightly one by one, spread in a tray for some time and then grind in the machine.




Sambar Powder



Ingredients :

Red Chilly    1/4 Kg. - 8 cups
Coriander Seed   200 grams -  2 cups
Zeeragam  1/2 cup  100 grams
Toor Dhal  1/2 cup    100 grams.
Channa Dhal   1/2 cup    100 grams.
Urad Dhal     1/2   100 grams 
Fenugreek    1/4 cup    50 grams.
Virali Manjal - Turmeric Sticks   50 grams  -  10 pieces 
Pepper     3 tbsp.

Method :

1. Dry all the ingredients in the hot sun for 2 days. The red Chilly must be crisp and must break, if bent. Any variety, long or short can be used.

2. If it is the rainy season and people living in apartments can slightly dry roast the ingredients one by one till they become hot. No need to wait till an aroma comes. Cool in a newspaper or tray and grind in the machine.

The Manjal has to be crushed using a Mortar and pestle. Otherwise in some machines, they refuse to grind whole Turmeric.I do not add Virali Manjal.I add Turmeric Powder only while preparing Sambar.

Similarly some people add pieces of solid Hing while grinding the powder. I add Hing Powder only to Sambar.

My mother in law does not add Pepper for the Sambar Powder. Pepper is added only for the Pulikuzhambu Powder May be as we have separate powders for Sambar and Pulikuzhambu, she might not have added Pepper.

Now as everyone is running short of time, I feel it is better to add some Pepper and use the same powder for Sambar and Karakuzhambu.

 My mom living in Chennai, seeing her neighbours add Pepper, she also
adds little bit of Pepper to the Sambar Powder. 

But I am totally against adding Pattai and Sombu in the sambar powder as I feel that it totally changes the taste of Sambar.



Note :

I always prefer to grind in the machine because after grinding in the mixer and sieving also, the powder will never be fine as ground in the machine.

So even if we take the trouble of going to the machine once, we can store it for 6 months to one year. 

If stored in airtight glass bottles, it is safe even for a year and there is no chance of the aroma, missing in the Sambar. I never dump my fridge with all these things.

The same powder can be used for Pulikuzhambu and Karakuhambu also.




     

                          

                           

No comments:

Post a Comment